Friday, August 9, 2013

Ramadan... and a Lesson

Gratitude. Respect. Honesty.

What do those words mean to you? I feel like they are floating around in my world an awful lot lately. Today, I'm going to focus on respect. Something that happened to me, and actually, my husband more than me the other day inspired this. I asked him what word came to mind when it occurred and respect is what he came up with. So, I googled "respect quotes," and found this, from a book that I loved:

“Respect was invented to cover the empty place where love should be.” 
 Leo Tolstoy, Anna Karenina

So, heres the story, morning glories:

A few weeks ago, Jim happened to mention to Dr. Sehbai that he had once observed Ramadan. This was during the time or before the time that Ramadan occurred this year, which Dr. Sehbai observes due to his religion. After we left the appointment, Jim was very curious as to how the good doctor had responded. He was concerned that Dr. Sehbai may have been insulted! Now, for those of you who do not know my husband, he is very sensitive. And that's a good thing!


Look at that cutie!

He was torn up worrying about it. The last thing Jim would ever want to do is reject or insult another man's cultural or religious beliefs. So, we talked about it, and, not knowing Dr. Sehbai as well as we do now, came to the conclusion on my behalf that Dr. S was interested, not insulted. Jim was probably on the fence, still!

After my appointment this past Monday, during which a LOT was discussed; more on that later, Dr. Sehbai mentioned he wanted us to wait before going back to the chemo suite for me to get my infusion. I had to use the bathroom and when I came out, Jim was holding this:



And beaming from ear to ear! Jim was so pleased that Dr. Sehbai gave him this, I thought he was going to float away.

So, its easy to find respect, once you have earned it. I believe it was the following day that Ramadan, for this year, ended. So, as the doctor explains to me, you are not expected to binge, but continue observing discipline throughout the year. You are, however, allowed to eat and have water again during the day. I was so worried about my top guy, who works so hard, being hungry all day! To observe a holiday such as this, with discipline and dedication, to me, deserves the ultimate respect! And yet, he gives it to my husband and I.

We are truly lucky.









No comments:

Post a Comment